Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I have energy!!! (April fools....)

Welcome, friends, to the month when James will enter the world:)
So, I am now 37.5 weeks along, and I am soooo ready to have this baby. Jess and I went to childbirth classes last weekend, which I found very helpful. I think it was a lot of estrogen for Jess to handle, but he says he got some good info out of it, too. Everyone in the class had to write down one word that summed up our ideas about birth. Jess wrote Genesis. I wrote Privilege.  I guess someone had to be the esoteric couple:) If I don't have a baby by Saturday, I'll be going back for breastfeeding and newborn care classes over the weekend. Tonight I went to Meriter Hospital (where I'll be delivering) for the UW midwives' open house. It was nice because I met the two midwives I hadn't had appointments with yet. I also ran into one of the couples from my birth class there, and they kept me company while Jess was off being the breadwinner.
I'm having a tough time balancing my desire to nest with my desire to lay motionless and stare at the wall. It seems like TV+knitting is a nice combo that way. I shouldn't make it sound like I'm doing nothing, though. Today I cleaned the bathroom and the kitchen, typed my birth plan, wrote some thank-you notes, and sanded our beloved rocker for a little over an hour. I feel like there is still a ton that I want to get done, and I'm making progress, but it feels slow and I just can't seem to keep the pace I'd like. Being that I'm getting so close to my due date, I'm trying to cut myself a little slack on that front. I'm being very choosy about my subbing assignments at this point, and I probably won't do much more official work between now and when James is out and about. Just too tired... and I also would really hate to have my water break in front of a room full of kindergarteners!
I am trying not to get too worked up about the "any day now" idea. It really could be as long as 5 more weeks and that would still be normal... but it's hard not to get antsy. I am trying to keep this Emerson quote as my mantra: "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." I have complete faith that if I can tune into that peaceful space, and trust my body to do what it is meant to do, this labor will be a beautiful experience.

That said... labor is imminent! :) Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers as we begin the final countdown to James's birthday (whenever that might be!)!
Love,
Your favorite well-informed birth industry consumers, and their reason for learning

P.S. I quit at pictures this week. Better luck next time!

No comments: