Monday, May 4, 2009

he's HERE!!!




Just in case you didn't get a super-proud call or e-mail from Jess, "Nana Bets", or me, I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for being out of touch for so long!  Kevin (Jess's Dad) graciously reminded me tonight that my trusty blog audience has been left without my witticisms for nearly 2 weeks now.  Unacceptable.  I make no excuses. Except the one where I was slightly busy with birthing and caring for my glorious baby boy:)
So... please forgive my absence, and allow me to introduce:
JAMES PATTERSON BORN
10 lbs, 1 oz (wow, right!?!?)
20 in (although we think this might be a mis-calculation)
born Thursday 4/23/09 at 3:17 am
Totally healthy (normal glucose despite his epic size)... and I made it drug-free through the delivery with no complications whatsoever!  Sooo awesome!  
Pics are courtesy of Nana Bets, who came down to help out over the weekend and snuck in a photo shoot:)

I can't believe it has been 11 days since James came into the world.  It's such a weird mix of not recognizing this as my new reality and being unable to imagine going back to the way things were.  Mom calls it the "happy baby fog" which I think is an apt description.  And wow, are we ever HAPPY!!  In all honesty, I had no idea that I would feel this fantastic.  I spent a lot of time during the pregnancy reading books and articles about the many trials of the postpartum experience... recovery from the birth itself, extreme sleep deprivation, stressful interactions with partner and baby, messy house, eternal fast food... and I was terrified that I would have major baby blues through it all.  Really, though, either these people are full of bologna or I am the luckiest mama in the world, because this sweet, wonderful boy just snuggles and sleeps and eats and poops, then looks up at me with big blue eyes while I sing to him.  And Jesse... I don't even have words to tell you how amazing he is.  He was so attentive and strong for me through the labor, and he's truly fantastic with James.  He has been extra-helpful around the house, which has helped me tremendously in my recovery.  

Ok, so I'm gushing.  But I just can't think of anything to report that isn't saturated in sheer joy:)  I'm totally in love with my new little family.  Last night Jess and I were in the living room and I was feeding James while Jess was grooming the bird.  All four of us were totally peaceful and happy.  And, lucky me, that's my life now.  I'm sure there will be plenty of tough days and nights to come, but I've never been more certain that it's all going to work out just right.  

Lots of love,
the happiest little family you ever did see:)

3 comments:

aaron browne said...

He is absolutely beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing your story with us, and for letting us know that there is a different side to the "rants of pessimism" that seem to permeate the popular text these days. Terri and I both really needed to hear that the time following a baby can be truly blissful, albeit sleep deprived. We're so happy to hear that you are recovering well and that your new family is coming together so nicely. We definitely look forward to meeting the little guy at an HB event sometime soon!!! Best wishes...

Aaron & Terri

jamie said...

Soooo cute :) I love the creative photos. he is perfect.

I think I'm next, but who knows ! I am 2 cm dialated but I guess that doesn't mean much!

Bonnie said...

He is gorgeous! 10 lb baby...wow. I'm getting scared, gulp.
I am about 8 weeks preg-O & I haven't started showing yet, but I'm scared of getting huge. You looked great though & I'm sure the reward will all be worth it!
Bon :)